Monday, February 21, 2011

Burning the daylight

It's been a while since my last post, but I've been continuing on the kung fuey way.  The past six days have been filled with my life and many career hats I wear.  This weekend was President's Day so I had a three day weekend away from my full time job and all that time was promptly filled with coaching and recruiting for volleyball.  I spent the long weekend in Washington, D.C. where there was an annual 3-day volleyball tournament for 12 year olds to 18 year olds.  Over 600 teams come from all over the nation and even some international teams make the trip.  I coach a 12 and under team.  Something about that age that's full of such raw, wonderful, contagious energy and enthusiasm.  

Food-wise went pretty well.  Stayed on kung fu plan for most of the meals.  Made on exception for Thai food, but even that, they offered some amazing brown rice for my carb.  It was much different then I ever had, almost an earthy texture and flavor.  No added salt or butter, just the brown rice grain.  I hope I get an opportunity to eat there again. 

I missed one workout just for being absolutely exhausted.  I will make it up on the last day of the Kung Fu week.  But I did get a chance to walk for 2 hours everyday.  Yesterday I practiced a random act of awesome and went ice skating right outside the Natural History Museum.  They were rockin' tunes from the 80's and even though it had been about 15 years since I last ice skated, it came back to me rather quickly.  Extreme success was met when after 2 hours of skating, I didn't fall once!!  Whoo-hoo!

Today's workout went well.  I did have some trouble performing the jump side kicks.  It was a bit challenging for my mind to tell my body to jump off this foot and then kick this foot out.  I was tired but I did the workout anyway. 

During my meditation, my mind was chattering like crazy.  Thinking about how the weekend went, wondering how I can keep the girls inspired and improving in their volleyball skills, thinking about what I need to do when I get home, etc...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are busy!

    The jumping side kicks are hilarious for me. So glad I work out alone, because I wouldn't want anybody to see me hopping like a deranged bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I, too, look like a deranged bunny when I kick in the park. Or, more accurately, a deranged bunny on crystal meth. I say just OWN IT!

    Ellen, way to stay 'balanced'--on ice, no less!

    ReplyDelete