Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The brown M&M

So I'm back from my trip to cold, cold Michigan.  The Saturday volleyball tournament was a great success, we lost in the finals to a more consistent team but it was a very competitive match.  I was tired in the semi-finals and finals, but I found a way to pull thru.  We started playing at 10:30AM and kept going until 9:00PM.  So a very good day, I worked in my wide angle forward bend at the end of the day and that was that. 

I find that I am definitely focusing on a straight back during the wide angle forward bend.  I know I will get better at it.  Just gotta be patient.

The after party of the Michigan tournament was not for me.  I did have one glass of wine, but after that I didn't have much to say.  I had caught up with most of my old Michigan friends during the tournament.  So when I got to the dark dance bar, it was just about as fun as a brown M&M.  I said hi to a few of the friends again, but then it was loud and dancey and I just wasn't feeling it.  I remember peering over at an old friend and saw her drinking beer straight from the pitcher.  All sweaty from dancing, in tight fitting clothes, eyes half glazed over as she chugged from the gigantic plastic pitcher.  It was at that moment, a cold wet substance hit my right shoulder and dripped down my sleeve.  Yep, you guessed it, beer was spilled on me and that was my cue to say goodnight. 


As for the mindful consumption, I went for mexican food.  I had a chicken and cheese burrito with a dollop of sour cream.  Oh so good.  I found myself picking around the tortilla and just getting to the good stuff: the chicken and cheese.  I still miss butter, salt and cream, but I know I feel better if I limit my consumption of them.

So I returned home safely Sunday evening and relaxed.  Little did I know that Monday was going to hit with a vengeance!

Monday morning started off fine, got up, went to the gym to do my workout and drop my car off for a routine oil change.  Multitasking from the get go.  Well after my workout, the oil change place said my tires were legally bald and my keys were stuck in the ignition.  I kind of had been putting off the new tires, so I decided to just get 'em and be done.  As for the key thing, it's happened once before but basically I was able to fix it just by quickly jamming the shifter forward, but even that wouldn't work this time.  So after finishing up at the oil change shop, I had a new problem of keys stuck in my car.  I was stressing, I hadn't eaten yet and it was going on 11:30AM.  Needless to say, I didn't make it into work Monday.  When I did finally get a chance to eat something, it was hard to eat because of me worrying about how much this was going to cost me.  Luckily, my roommate, hooked me up with a mechanic who although couldn't help me right away, by Tuesday, he had it repaired. 

So $1200 unexpected dollars later, everything is normal.  And life can get back on track.  It's funny how much I depend on my car and how I take it for granted.  It definitely has a lot to do with the stability in my life.

1 comment:

  1. My mouth started watering as soon as I read "Mexican food".

    Too bad about the car, though it seems like things are under control. Sometimes I wonder if cars are worth the stress--especially after learning how stress can wreck a work-out & promote inflexibility...

    Awesome job in the tournament! Sounds like a close loss after a good fight.

    ReplyDelete